Monday, August 3, 2015

One Bedroom Suite, Two Different Looks


I scored on this French Provincial bedroom suite a few months ago at an estate sale, and if I wasn't driving, I would have skipped all the way home! I get so excited when I can find an entire bedroom set, especially when it's in excellent condition.

I really didn't want to separate this set, because from a business standpoint it made more sense to sell the set together as one custom job. But when I was approached about refinishing the highboy and nightstand, and then the long dresser and mirror independently, and on the same day, I knew they would be fated to be separated!

Here's the before shot of the set. Gorgeous, lovely lines by Bassett. And check out those yummy serpentine drawers!



Each client wanted completely different looks. The highboy and nightstand would be part of an "Old Hollywood" bedroom design - complete with a crystal chandelier, white faux fur rug, and probably a martini shaker! The design would be channeling Carole Lombard, Joan Crawford, Marion Davies and other gorgeous Hollywood screen icons from the 30's and 40's!

Carole Lombard
Source: Ebay


And so we decided on General Finishes Snow White for the body, and Seagull Gray for the drawers.




The original hardware was refinished using Rustoleum Metallic Finishes with a high gloss polyurethane sealer.




I get weak at the knees over gorgeous drawers! And yes, everything was sprayed. No brush strokes,  dah-ling! (Sorry, that was Carole speaking!)

Gorgeous, Glamorous, and Grey


My other clients were looking for a dresser for their daughter's room. They wanted a neutral color design that would grow with their daughter and her changing tastes. We agreed a crisp, clean white would be the perfect choice for years to come. My go-to white is General Finishes Snow White.




I knew the dresser would get a lot of wear in its life, so I sealed it with numerous coats of General Finishes High Performance Top Coat in Satin for protection and durability.




The hardware was kept simple and elegant: Rustoleum Oil-Rubbed Bronze with a matte sealer.




So there you have it. One bedroom suite, but two completely different looks. Isn't it amazing how just a little bit of paint (and love) can completely transform furniture?

Have a great week and thanks for stopping by!


 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm Sharing At:

4 comments:

  1. Both looks are just beautiful ! Visiting from the painted drawer .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great score! They're both beautiful but I think my preference if for the Hollywood glamour. Great job. Ann Marie at Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect example of the power of paint! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing. Always love your projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing my projects, Sharon! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete