Sunday, September 14, 2014

I Hate Stripping......Furniture





I hate stripping.

Furniture, that is. This is a G-rated blog after all.

I'm not afraid of a furniture challenge. Sometimes the more work it requires gives me a greater sense of personal satisfaction refinishing it. I can pick up a piece for a really great deal, and then I can pass along the cost savings to my clients.

This dresser was at an estate sale hidden away in a garage being used as a tool box!  Poor baby! It was painted white but was pretty beat up. Upon further inspection, I decided it needed to be stripped, because there were so many layers of dirty paint with paint drips and a really bad glazing job. The lovely wood detail had been lost in so many layers of paint. Once again, in my haste to start working on her, I forgot to take "before" pictures.




I used a whole bottle of Citistrip Orange Gel on this baby. And discovered ten, yes TEN, layers of paint. It was like a scavenger hunt....white, blue, yellow, green, white, etc. and then original acrylic paint on the pine furniture.



I wanted to try Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Duck Egg for this project. I had a can in my garage waiting for the perfect piece. Such a pretty color blue - with hints of green undertones! I spruced up the original hardware with spray paint and sealer, and gave it a nice wax. Here she is...freshened up ...and no longer a tool box!




Have a great week!

 photo signature_zps552cb1e1.png

I'm sharing at:

Silver Pennies Sundays
DIY Sunday Showcase
Funky Junk Interiors
Amaze Me Monday
Metamorphosis Monday
Inspire Me Monday
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Twirl & Take a Bow Party
Power of Paint Party
Elizabeth & Co. - Be Inspired
Wow us Wednesdays
Furniture Feature Friday
The Dedicated House - Anything Blue Friday

5 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful! The first project I did (over 20 years ago) had many, many layers of paint....it felt like it was never ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like I struck gold when I reached the end! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Looks so great! Thank you so much for sharing at the Twirl & Take a Bow Party! Have an awesome week!
    Leslie
    House on the Way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Leslie! I always enjoy seeing the inspirational projects that are submitted to your party. Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Definitely worth the effort! This piece is a beauty. Love the color and the contrast of the white hardware!

    ReplyDelete